I have written an app to retrieve data from a PWS on Weather Underground.
I will see if Athom will publish it, so if you have any interest in this then let me know so I can see if it worth pursuing for anything but my own use.
How to setup the app:
The app requires a token provided by WU to access the data. This token is called the API Key and is available on your account page in the WU web site.
You might see a button to generate the key if you haven’t already done so.
Click on Show Key to see the value and then copy that to the app when adding a new device. The key is long so copy and paste is the best option if possible.
You will also need your Station ID which is also available on the WU website:
The ID is not secret and can be found on the web site for any station. In fact you can access any stations data with your API key. However WU put a limit on the number of access that can be made per day with your key (maximum of 10 per minute and a total of 1500 per day).
The app provides two device types that can be add, “Weather Station” and “Weather Forecast”.
The “Weather Station” device provides data from the weather station indicated by the ID and updates once every minute.
The “Weather Forecast” device provides five days of weather predictions for area around the station location.
So to add either of these, select the + symbol in the Devices tab of the Homey app, tap on the WU app and then selected an option (station or forecast). You will then see a screen to enter the Station ID and the API key. Then tap on Add Station. Provided the Station ID and API key a valid the device will then be added.
For the Forecast, you can select the period that you want to view on the first screen and the second screen will then refresh with those values.
Version 2 is available. The main feature is a rewrite of the Forecast flow triggers so they can select which day you want to watch. To make use of the new feature you will have to removes the old forecast device and add it back again.
- Added ‘Data Resumed’ flow trigger
- Added an app option to specify the number of weather stations on your account so the update rate can be optimised.
- Added a global option in the Confure App page to select the wind speed units between Km/H and m/s.
- Fixed an issue with using forecast flow condition cards.
- Fix problem with speed units changing to m/s after update and put default back to Km/H unless already set manually.
- If the station ID is not found then you now have the option to add it anyway. Adding / removing a station automatically increments / decrements the station count to adjust the polling interval.
- Made cloud ready (probably won’t be accepted though).
- Fixed units selection for wind.
- Added missing German translation thanks to Dirk Göbel.
- Added more missing German translation thanks to Dirk Göbel.
- Fixed Temperature reading on Forecast not updating.
- Added buttons to the connection page to open the WU website on the Station ID and API Key pages.
Version 3.0.9 Weather Underground | Homey
- Removed Homey (cloud) option. The app was rejected for Homey
Looking forward to the app, waited long for somone to develop
Is there anything specific that you want?
Currently I have just the real-time readings.
As much data I can get at the moment I pull data from Weather Display via MQTT to HA to have a nice dashboard
I have done my part to publish the app so now it is just a wait to see if it gets accepted by Athom.
What kind of weatherstation and software are you using?
Installing app now
Take a look of this
i think i`ll order,
at the moment i have a this
And from my weather software i fetch data in real time with MQTT
A bit beyond my budget but very nice.
Works perfect, thanks, now I can control the heater in the weatherstation
One thing that has come to light is that WU provide two keys. One is the short key that appears in thier control panel next in the device table. The other, and this is the one you need, is the long API key. That is shown on a separate tab. See the image below taken from my WU members page:
You might need to click on a button on that tab page to create your key.
If you enter the wrong key into my app it will not collect data.
Sorry if this has caused any inconvenience.
There is a new version ready for test. It can be loaded from the app store by putting /test on the end or the URL or you can click on the link below.
This update has the following:
- More decimal places for temperature.
- Added a UV senor to displayed items, but obviously this will only get a value if you station sends UV data.
- Added a new ‘device’ that can be installed that shows information from the weather forecast for tomorrow. Enter the weather station ID and API key in exactly the same way as for the PWS device. The weather forecast data is updated every hour so the combined PWS and forecast request stay under the allowed 1500 request per day.
Let me know if there any issues. I will leave it in test for a few days and wait for feedback and if it is OK I will request that it is published next week.
It was also mentioned that LUX and Watt sensors are missing but as far as I can see that information is not provided by WU so I can’t do those. I must admit I am surprised that LUX is not available. If anyone sees it in the documentation then let me know and I will do my best.
If anyone wants to translate any of the text in the app that is in English then please let me know the English and translated text (plus language just in case I don’t recognise it). Or you can do it via a pull request on Github if that is easier for you. I would be grateful as, I guess, would other users.
@Adrian_Rockall i got the test version, removed and added it again. it nows also shows UV. although every value is still empty after 24 hours. wgen configuring in homey wu app app, it says ip assigned by your router, but the field name is called hub ID, a bit confusing. I gues you ment weather station ip here?
And what happens is you add wrong ip? any log if enabled?
Regards Ray, finaly my ws is in homey. So i can set greenhouse lightning on and off if thats is a condition in the flow would be awesome !!
@RayCokes The Station ID is the one assigned by WU when you add your station to their system. You can find it in the Members Settings area on WU as shown below:
In the first version of my App I did accidentally type IP instead of ID which has probably caused the confusion for which I apologies.
I will also look at providing feedback with error messages in future versions so thank you for that wake up.
A new version is available (0.1.0) for test that has the Dutch translations.
Removed app configuration page as that was in there by mistake.
A new version is available for test (0.0.1).
Changed the Forecast Wind Strength capability to Gust Strength.
Also a bit of optimisation and hopefully error message should be displayed
Thanks to everyone for the help with translations.
A new version is available for test (0.0.2).
Added Solar Radiation to the Station device.
Added triggers for all (hopefully) custom capabilities.
Clear error message when new data fetched.
Dutch translations for new stuff has been added with the help of Google plus the previous translations so I hope they are OK.
Thanks to everyone that has been helping with the testing.
Looks and feels great, nice work