Will the new Homey Pro 2023 support a dashboard as leaked in the Advanced Flows keynote?
I know Athom isn’t usually very open about new functionality, but since it was leaked then and there (I can hardly believe that it was not intentionally): can an update be given on dashboard functionality?
Q: How crucial will developer plugins be if Matter is becoming a new support standard?
Context: I am swapping over all my IoT hardware from Alexa to HomeKit since I haven’t been able to really get Homey in the USA. I really really really want the Advanced Flow function. I have some standard items like the Hue and Yale August lock. Though I have some things, like the TP-Link HS300 that I connect to HomeKit with HomeBridge. I see from the Homey Application page that a TP-link app is listed but it doesn’t call out support for HS300. So then I begin to think, what do the apps need to do if in THEORY these system will all fall under the branch of Matter, doesn’t that make the base functions of Homey Pro become the primary controller?
If we still need developers for apps, what is the best course of action us (the users) need to take to ensure we get support?
Question 1 ; migration/ backup is that available at launch I hope so because there are a lot of flows and devices
Question 2: is there a way to add a cheap Bluetooth speaker (Bluetooth antenna) and let homey speak to the Bluetooth device
I have a lot of flows that homey is speaking and let me know something (rain, dryer door opened ) it’s so handy ……
All the questions here make sense, of course, and are legitimate. However, the more we prioritise, the more likely Athom will respond. From what I have read so far here and in the German forum, there are clear favourites:
will the old Homey Pro work as a satellite for the new Homey Pro, or is the old one just rubbish ?
is Athom reconsidering its policy with the SDK2 apps and keeping them running on the new Homey as well, unless they are updated ? Is it a fact that SDK2 apps after 1.1.23, will not work on the old Pro either ?
Will there be a possibility to import a backup of the old one on the new Pro ?
These unanswered questions are also for me the main reason why I did not order a new Pro. Maybe an admin can order the questions by frequency so that @Emile know what is important to many users.
@Weejewel, on slack you stated it will not be possible to publish 2 app versions in the App Store, one pre-2023 and a 2023- version. You replied the app can check which feature is supported and you’ll probably will add a filter for flow cards.
Q: Will it be possible to publish an app for Homey Pro 2023 that still has
in app.json so on pre 2023 speech will keep functioning?
Followup: If not, how can we keep speech working on old Homeys?
Q: as well as losing the internal speaker, are you also removing the 3.5mm speaker Jack? Why? Will you support local Bluetooth speaker at least? I use homepod minis around the house. There is no way to use these with homey. I’m obviously not going to add echo or google or Sonos as well just for homey speech
Q: please provide a timeline for release of migration from previous homey pro. It’sa complete non starter until then
I rashly ordered a new pro during the keynote but will be cancelling and waiting at least 6 months now after reading more about it. In its current state it is £400 for a significant downgrade due to no timeline on a migration path (honestly the fact anyone thought that could wait until after launch makes me worry about how much the team understands its users), losing access to many apps I rely on, loss of speaker with no viable replacement and several new features not being available til mid to late next year anyway.
I agree with the others here who have voiced their opinion on releasing this new Homey without a migration path from the old one. I can’t fathom how you even thought that was a good idea if you want your existing customers to upgrade to the new Pro. People have LOTS of devices, and many are in locations that are pretty inaccessible, so to “start over” with re-pairing everything is clearly a no-go. And the same holds true for flows. Countless hours have been spent creating elaborate flows, and recreating all manually is just too painstaking.
The lack of support for apps on SDK2 is also really painful, even if I do understand that it is undesirable to support the old SDK indefinitely. Some work needs to go down to try to ease this problem.
Is there an easy way to get a list of apps on a Homey Pro that is using SDK2?
Many users demand a migration. Only then they are willing to buy a new Homey Pro.
But is a complete migration including devices technically possible at all?
For some device groups (e.g. WiFi) it might be possible, but I don’t know of any Z-Wave gateway where the Z-Wave devices can be migrated without exclusion/inclusion. But I’m not an expert.
@Caseda, do you know if a migration of Z-Wave devices is technically possible?
I just want to add my 2c around prioritising a migration path to upgrade, I have a bucket load of devices and going into the walls to reset the devices isnt really an option in Australia - as it requires an qualified electrician.
In regards to the AMA : As an subject matter expert I am interested in hearing your thoughts around Matter.
What impact do you see this happening on the base number of devices which will be supported by homey.
How much functionality do you think will be shared on the matter platform, can we expect platform agnostic provides to be fairly free with it? (ie. Fibaro, Hue)
What about the platform providers, just how basic is the matter support for Amazon and Google devices going to be?
Is there a plan to add local voice activation to Alexa via matter and if so which quarter?
There was talk in the keynotes around being local, can we confirm that authentication/authorization will no longer require an active internet connection and the Homey can be ran off-grid?
How will the Pro2 work when connected via both Ethernet and Wifi?
What other matter based features are going to be possible?
SDK2 has been deprecated for a while now, however there really hasn’t been a reason to upgrade it, I have several apps which need to be upgraded - and only 10 weeks to do it in (along with a full time job and a 6 week overseas trip). I understand there may be strong reasons for dropping support for sdk2 for Pro2, however is there any chance that this deadline will be extended (at least for Pro1) .