🎙️ The Homey Podcast | Mega Thread

Welcome to The Homey Podcast Mega Thread. Here you can leave any feedback, comments and questions related to the episodes we publish.

The Homey Podcast is your source for all things smart home! Join the creators of Homey as they dive into the latest in smart home technology, unveil exciting new Homey features, and answer burning questions from our vibrant community. Whether you’re a tech enthusiast, a Homey user, or just curious about the future of smart living, The Homey Podcast has something for you. Tune in to stay connected, informed, and inspired.

:tv: Watch on YouTube
:headphones: Listen on Spotify
:headphones: Listen on Apple Podcasts
:headphones: Listen on Podimo
:newspaper_roll: RSS Feed

8 Likes

[reserved]

My first thought is:
“We didn"t answer much questions in our latest AMA, so we better call it a podcast”… :wink:

But: I am pleased with every communication Athom does about Homey, new features, products, etc. So: let’s see where this is heading. Thanks!

4 Likes

It was a great podcast to listen to! Thanks for creating it and giving us somewhat more insight in the things behind Homey.

@Doekse One question though. Can the podcast also be made available in Pocket Casts?

4 Likes

Will check with the team!

1 Like

Athom plans to organize this podcast every month. In the video it is said, that a first demo of the new dashboard functionality may take place in the next podcast.

1 Like

Have listened the whole podcast now; very well done.
Also nice that you have answered a few more questions from the AMA. :wink:

One addition to the part about Homey support for intercoms/door openers:
Ring now also has a device for it:

To bad it can’t do video, but 2-way audio and (of course) ringing and opening is supported. And imho very reasonable priced at 99 euro.
@DaneedeKruyff already supports it in his Ring app:

3 Likes

The podcast was great and looking forward to seeing more.
I think Athom are one of the most informative companies I deal with even if emails do go unanswered at times, but that’s the same for many companies.

I actually contributed that code to support the Intercom as a lock as my first thing after buying a Homey :smile: But since I was yet pretty new to the Homey app development I’m sure there is a bunch of stuff which could be done better with an official integration, so would be great to get official support :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks! Good contents, different subjects, we like!

I am a Homey Bridge/cloud user, and wondering about new developments there.
Will there ever be a wifi-devices-enabled bridge, or should these devices like Tuya be connected via their apps and clouds?
Happy with the Tuya addition, using it already…

Is Matter/Thread coming to the Bridge? (Sorry if this has already been discussed somewhere else and I missed it).

Some examples of brands I could use in Bridge/cloud, which are now wifi and own app:
Duux (currently pro only)
Flinq (currently pro only)
Plugwise (currently pro only)
Roborock (currently pro only)
Create ceiling fan + light

How easy would it be to migrate from bridge to pro?

Good luck with everything and stay proud!

The chip(s) in the bridge does not support matter nor thread, so no it won’t be supported.

1 Like

Maybe in a next hardware version though?
Getting a new bridge after a few years with the old could still be fine, if it supports WiFi and matter/thread.

Sure, but Athom never talks about new hardware revisions until they are (about) to be released.
The bridge is “only” 2,5 years old, so it can still take some years for a new version to arise.

Would be great to understand more on not working BLE on HP23…

4 Likes

@Doekse Great podcast! I would like to hear more, but not too quick. Make sure you have got enough content for a whole session!
I started with homey last year when Homey was the subject of one of the “Met nerd om tafel” podcast. I was tired of Home Assistant and it’s complicated workings. At that time there weren’t much updates. I thought the Homey platform was kind of lacking. But in 2024 sooo much has been added! The acquiring by LG will hopefully continue that trend. This podcast was very helpful in understanding what LG will bring to the table and what the future for Homey will look like!

1 Like

There is no such thing :man_shrugging:
You’ll have to start from scratch.

With all other wishes, you seem to like the Homey cloud + bridge possibilities to be almost the same as a Pro.
I don’t see that happen (it’s way cheaper for a reason).

I do understand… But one can hope… Just sharing mine here.

There already is an ‘official’ Ring app, it’s nowhere near the community app. Plus, Ring itself will not be involved in anything else than their own (Amazons!) ecosystem.

I can say that we are in talks with Ring through LG :wink:

3 Likes

Just make sure they don’t make you kill a community initiative.

2 Likes