Ring Security - Extend Heimdall with Ring Security products

I ordered the Ring Keypad v1 to (beta) test your Heimdall extension. Will let you know how it performs.

@hluhr Adding a pincode for arming is a added value for me. Not everyone must be able to arm the security, and arming must be more than one keypress to prevent mistakes.

Ring keypad works perfectly! Also use it for other commands, like locking catflap, turn of sirens, Heimdall intergration is one thing, maybe now the most complete security system u can have.

My security automations are now near 100% autonomous, facial recognition etc, ring keypads adds warning, logging and voice. (in addition to google TTS), instead of buttons it protects flows (kids).

1 Like

@DaneedeKruyff thanks for a quick response. It was quite obvious when you explained it.

@Heronimus, I can understand your point. However, we have been using this setup for one year without any mistakes. If you do a mistake, it is quite easy to quickly disarm again. Worst case scenario, the alarm will go off. Not the end of the world…
The big security advantage with “one-click” arming is that it is less chance that you will reveal your pin for any house guests.

Yesterday i received the Ring keypad v1. Played with it some hours and must say I’m impressed about the possibilities and the Heimdall integration! Compliments!

Till so far I haven’t found any tag WHO (dis)armed surveillance. I know it’s in the Heimdall loglines, but thats more text than a username only. Whould be nice if that info comes with tags in event “Surveillance Mode changed”

1 Like

I agree with @Heronimus, also missing a username tag to know who armed/disarmed.

@Heronimus Thanks, glad you like the app and spend the time finding out what may stay hidden when ‘just using it’. :+1:

And I agree with both you and @hluhr that knowing who changed the Surveillance Mode in Heimdall as a tag on a flowcard is very welcome, it’s something I want to implement.

But I have to consider the fact that it is only possible to determine who changed the Surveillance Mode when it is changed through the Ring Keypad. When I add the tag to the flowcard in Heimdall a lot of users will ask why it doesn’t work for them and knowing just 0.2% of Heimdall users have the Ring Security App installed this is not the time to implement this.
Recently Athom has added who switched an on/off device to the app, I hope they will add the same functionality for other device types such as the Surveillance Mode Switch and make it available programmatically. When this happens I will surely add the tag to the flowcard.

2 Likes

Thank you Danee. Made you a donation to support your work!

1 Like

Thank you very much!

Great news: today Athom has released a new firmware version to the experimental channel. This firmware version, Homey v7.0.0-rc.8, adds, amongst other, support for the Security 2 (S2) standard to the Z-Wave implementation on your Homey.

This makes it possible to add other devices from the Ring Alarm product line-up to the Ring Security app for Homey.
Adding the Ring Keypad V1 with S2 support should work on Homey v7, just make sure you have the Device Specific Key (DSK) at hand when adding the device.
(I’ve seen no mention that it is possible to scan the QR code with the Homey App, not sure if that functionality will be added)

In a future version, which will require Homey v7 or higher, I will add the Door/Window Sensor and Motion Detector (Both V1). There has been no mention by Athom about FLiRS support (yet) so I don’t yet know if it will be possible to add support for the Ring Keypad V2 (which requires FLiRS)

yep flirs is supported but kept out of the changelog

1 Like

Is it also possible to change the status at the ring app itself? Or is it just to switch the heimdall status?

No, the Ring Keypad is added as a Z-wave device to Homey and is completely separated from the Ring ecosystem.
There is no way (that I know of) you can change the status in the Ring app from Homey.

Is the app offline? Can’t find it

Yes, I’ve submitted a new version for approval and unfortunately it’s taking Athom a little longer then expected to approve this new version.
But no worries, it will be back.

Edit: @Michel_Bakker it’s approved by Athom so it’s available again.

New version published

Version: 0.1.2 Beta

• Added translations

Hi @DaneedeKruyff, was finishing up my Heimdall config in homey and felt a need to increase the WAF with some sort of keypad and then stumbled upon this post :wink:

Couple of questions:

Will you also support keypad V2?

edit: i just read about the flirs support requirement :wink:

Is it possible to initiate different flows with different pins and have more than 1 pin per user (or i guess you can use multiple user id’s for the same user). Anyway can pin code 1111 initiate flow 1 and pin 2222 flow 2?

Thanks in advance for your time and effort. I you want i can help you with beta testing. Let me know if you want that.

Regards
Onno

Hi @Rijckholt,

Good thing you found it then :wink:
I plan on supporting the 2nd Generation Keypad, FliRS support should not be an issue I’ve been told, it’s just left out the Release Notes (for reasons unknown to me)
I don’t have a V2 Keypad yet and unfortunately the device isn’t documented on Zwave alliance (yet) so I can give no ETA, also I will not release a new version until the Homey V7 Firmware is officially made available by Athom.

For the seconds part, I’ve got something planned for that, it’s actually an addition to the Heimdall app, not in this app. The basis of that functionality is already done (and privately tested) and it works by adding a follow-up code after a users pin. When an extra digit is entered when entering the PIN that digit will be extracted and made available in a flow card; start a scene, set a users status or even use it as a (silent) panic mode, ideas are endless!

Hi @DaneedeKruyff,

The panic mode was exactly what I was referring too. Interestingly the V2 Keypad refers to an actual panic button on the keypad. Although i am not sure if you will have access to it:

snip===

Gebruik de gloednieuwe paniekknoppen om de sirene op het basisstation of de buitensirene te laten klinken en je noodcontacten op de hoogte te stellen (Ring Protect Plus-abonnement vereist) als er zich een noodsituatie voordoet

snip====

The keypad is for sale on amazon: link to new ring keypad

Regards
Onno

I installed the Ring keypad 3 weeks ago. The first thing I did was to charge it to 100%. Since then it has been 100% battery. I’m beginning to doubt that the battery indicator really works, or it is a damn good battery?!
Anyone else who has noticed this in this forum?

@Rijckholt I can’t be sure about the actual panic button yet but I think it the app will have access to it, the action for it in Homey however would have to be configured by the user and be only limited by what Homey (and it’s apps) is capable of.

@hluhr I’ve noticed a battery percentage drop, but indeed slowly (very slowly) I’ve done extensive testing while writing the app and also just charged it once. Specifically when testing with the backlight brightness and duration it drained some power from the battery, so I can confirm the battery indicator works.