[Modding] Various Homey Pro (Early 2023) Modification suggestions

From what I recall it was a ‘present’ for the power adapter troubles ?

10 years was a black Friday sale, and is long gone.

The instead of an adapter was only 2 or 3 1 year for free.

2 Likes

I do not recall exactly, but thanks!

So at present, it is either a 1-year deal, or hoping that the next black Friday deal is similar to last year.

in short, yes.

Black Friday is still far away though (end of november), but no one knows if they will do the same deal then.
The 10 years does stack, so if you buy the year deal now, and you buy the 10 year later (if it comes with black friday) it will be 10,5 years still left.

1 Like

That 10 years of backup for 50€ was on BlackFriday/CyberMonday last year. I’ve bought it myself too.

So maybe again this year end of november/ on Black Friday this year. :wink::sunglasses:

Red Iphonitis rigorosa : level 11

1 Like

For anyone who needs to know, it is not an issue to restore an cloud backup from a homey with is using the full 32gb of flash to a homey that has max (original) 8GB of total flash :muscle:

4 Likes

Updated my Homey last week, cm4108032, and has been working very stable for the last week. Also replaced my cooler with the one @Ranney suggested, and the temperature is down quite a lot. (red arrow indicating when it was replaced)

Everything works 8GB Ram, 32GB storage, only 1 issue, after changing the CM Module it is not possible anymore to make a USB backup for me. Does anyone have a solution for that maybe?

@Ranney thanks for the tips and advice on the components :+1:

2 Likes

Different cable

Thanks for the tip, i’ve tried 2 (the Homey cable and another one). Right before the Cm upgrade i made a USB backup with the Homey cable without issues. After upgrading it does make a backup, but gets stuck at 90+%

Yeah, it’s a known problem. I mean @Sharkys fixed this with a different USB C cable.

1 Like

I will try some more, maybe another one will work :pleading_face:

with the cooler that ranney suggested you mean the bigger heatsink 11 mm?

Correct, the 11mm, I’ve ordered it from this store, but plenty of other webshops have similar ones.

(Let op C & D = 11mm, A & B = 5 mm).

I also replaced the thermal pads, bought these, 1mm AND the 3mm. (you need both if you are going to replace them!)

If you also need a small wrench, i’ve used these

(Credits to @Ranney)

2 Likes

Thank you chris :+1:

1 Like

Just careful, it seems that the antenna cutoff is not right… you will get Wifi and Bluetooth range issues

Can you explain that a bit more, so far my WIFI has actually been better after replacing the CM module (probably not due to the new cooler, but more memory related), and I don’t really use the homey bluetooth (so far), but ESP32’s with MQTT.

Did have a strange thing with zigbee the first time I started, some devices were offline (5 out of 40), got an error repairing, but after repairing failed they did work fine. No clue if that was related to replacing CM or cooler or just bad luck (had similar things with Homey 2023 in the past too before replacing the CM)

From the CM4 manual :

If the on-board wireless antenna is used (see Section 2.1) it must be orientated towards the edge of the plastic
enclosure and any nearby metal must have cut-outs or the wireless performance will be degraded. It is suggested that
there is at least 10mm clearance around the PCB antenna, but the designer must check the performance.

Makes sense, so far I didn’t notice any problems, the connection quality on my wifi network is still the same or better. I don’t really use the Homey Bluetooth, so can’t say if that is any worse. If I ever do get in trouble I can always cut out that part, order a new fan with the cutout or even use the original of course.

My experience so far, no issues, but if you can find a 10/11mm with the right cutout, that’s even better :+1:

Hi All,
if the CM4 removed the cpu heat sink cap, install smooth finishing copper shim and heat sink, does it cool better ?

1 Like