LG acquires Athom

I wanted to share my perspective because I believe we all need to take a step back and assess the situation objectively;

As stated in the press release, it truly is business as usual. Everything we have been working on, including dashboards, device groups, and other projects, will continue as planned.

Instead of reinventing the wheel, LG has chosen to acquire Homey—arguably one of the best smart home platforms available (yes, I’m a bit biased here :yum:). This acquisition allows LG to immediately compete with other major platforms.

As Emile already said:

I understand that this news may be unsettling and raise many questions, but I want to reassure you that there is no cause for concern.

From a partnership perspective, which is my bread and butter at the company, I can offer some insights:

I joined Athom last September, having previously worked with Google. Transitioning from a major tech company to a smaller one required some adjustment. I often found myself explaining to external parties what Athom does and why our platform is valuable, when before at Google that wasn’t the case.

When reaching out to potential partners, it can take considerable effort to convince them to integrate with Homey rather than with Google Home, Amazon Alexa, or Samsung SmartThings. With Homey now being part of LG, this will change for the better. They will have to take us seriously now, which means more partners on the platform and ultimately a better experience for every single user.

And no, we won’t actively deny any company from joining the Talks With Homey partnership program. We are a neutral party here and believe that Homey only works if we remain this way. So you can still buy a Samsung, Philips, or Sony TV with the peace of mind that it will work with Homey. LG also understands that it won’t work if we start excluding brands.

Again, I truly understand your concerns. But give us a chance to prove to you that they aren’t needed. :wink:

16 Likes