How to secure the running of a flow if web cutdown?

Hi everybody,

I have some flows with “WHEN a variable has changed” and some other flows that are launched by other flows. I would like to understand when the would be launched in case there’s a web shutdown, as some of these flows are really important for me.

So, please could somebody tell me when the flows would be launched in case :

1. Flow 1
    1.1 Web is down and an app’s variable is changing during the web cutdown
    1.2 The flow has a ‘WHEN variable has changed’ condition using a Homey’s LOGIC card
    1.3 Web is coming back some minuts after the variable has changed

2. Flow 2
    Same question with an app’s changing card instead of a Homey’s LOGIC card

3. Flow 3
    3.1 A first flow is launched that shoud lauch a second flow
    3.2 Web is down after the first flow has been launched and before the second flow could be launched
    3.3 Web is coming back some minuts later

Right now, I’m launching these flows every 10 minuts to secure them, but I not’s sure that’s the best solution as maybe Homey’s doing web with web cutdown and variable changings …

Thanks a lot !

Nothing is happening in the web interface itself, everything that is happening on Homey is local (on the device itself) and isn’t reliant on an internet connection.
The web interface and mobile app are just hooking into the API that runs on Homey itself with all data to be able to show/edit that.

So if the variable changing isn’t done by a device or service that is depended on the internet/network it will keep working.
And of course if you don’t send for example an email or push notification during the offline periode, as those will not be send, also not after when it comes online again.

Waouw, if I understand right, nothing happens later when internet is coming back, even if the variable has changed when internet was done. Am I right ?

If so, I think the best way to secure such important flows is to run the flow using a timer (like every 10 minuts) instead of using a variable’s change !

Also, what about regarding the 3rd case :
3. Flow 3
3.1 A first flow is launched that shoud launch a second flow
3.2 Internet is down after the first flow has been launched and before the second flow could be launched
3.3 Internet is coming back some minuts later

Will the second flow be launched when Internet will be back, or not ?

Once again, thanks a lot for your help :slight_smile:

Really curious about ur flows.
And if this is so important, why not fix the internet?

Flows triggering other flows will just run local on your Homey Pro.

For the other scenarios I guess you can’t give generic rules that apply for every Homey app and everything connected.

It depends on if a Homey app still communicates or not (local vs cloud) and/or if it depends on triggers (webhooks) or polling. A weather station polled every 10 minutes will continue in the next polling cycle and a thermostat using webhooks that should have triggerd on a temperature_set is changed will not trigger that flow until a setting is done again. You can’t run a flow that should have triggered on that event easily without also storing the old values first.

And it is the question if the new set temperature is read direct on the execution of the flow or just with the value Homey still knows until the app updates the value.

So I guess you better invest in stable and high availability on wifi and internet access and choose your devices and services carefully if they are important.

1 Like

If it is all so important for you, why don’t you test it your selves? Can be easy done by disconnecting your internet cable.

2 Likes

Thanks for this explanation, Dijker. Now I understand how triggers work and how to be sure not to miss a change if needed :slight_smile:

@JPe4619 : Sure I could test, but it’s not that easy to disconnect my internet cable in my house …
@Rocodamelshekima : Sure I would have fix the internet since a while if I could !! But if I’m asking this, it’s because my internet provider does not work fine and he’s the only one where I live :wink: