[Feature request] Release dates in the changelog

Would be nice if we could also have the release date of certain updates, as mentioned at the changelog pages (such as:)

It now only shows firmware version, but not when it was released.

The same for the changlog pages of Homey 2016-2019, -Mobile app, -Bridge, -Cloud and -Webapp

4 Likes

I have already asked about this on Slack, but unfortunately never received an answer.
In my opinion this is an absolut no-go to publish such information without a release date.

2 Likes

The release date cq build date was long ago in the log. But the public release was usually a couple of days later.

The time in between it was tested internal or in AATP.

That also often gave questions, and Athom usually start a silent staged deployment over a clouple of days.

Together with the only option to update to the latest version. What are the benefits for users knowing the release date?

Imho the only thing that counts is when you installed it.

For some reason (only Athom knows) it’s not being populated.

That’s why I’m using on Firefox add-on called Distill Web Monitor- https://distill.io/ - it’s not a solution but it’s quite useful workaround and you can see also dates when page changed (when update has been detected), when using Cloud version, you can get notified/change tracked when the page get’s updated.

Beside the nice to know,
What problem solves it?
And what is impacted by publishing it?

Why wouldn’t it be published?
And why is it published at every other changelog? :wink:

In some posts I mention that function x was added in firmware version x, or problem y was fixed in firmware version y. However, currently it’s not possible to check when this firmware was released.

Athom recommends activating automatic firmware updates. If timeline and push notifications are deactivated, the user will not know at all when a new firmware was installed. If suddenly problems occur then the user has at least a chance to check when the last firmware was released and automatically installed.
Actually they have absolutely no (official) way to check when a new firmware was released and automatically installed. A day ago, a week ago, a month ago…?
Homeys Uptime: Some users let their Homey restarted automatically every day, so that’s not a valid contra argument… :wink:

Btw, to mention the release date is generally good practice.

3 Likes

Geurt, do you happen to know why release dates are published along with app updates?
I mean if certain people think it’s not important for firmware, why would it be for apps

1 Like

No idea, they are as useless as the releasedate for Firmware for me.

The only thing I want to know if I am at the latest FW / version or not.
and we can’t wait fe until it is at least 2 months out. It could be that you never get to that point as there is a new update before that already.

The only thing I further want to know when I installed it.

For me such info is also useful, mostly when I get some reports and from some proactive users I got also information like mentioned by DirK - eg. “I believe it starts misbehaving 1 week ago, last update etc.” Sometimes it helps myself to narrow down the changes, sometimes it helps me to say to the user to check the dates, because I did not touch the apps at all and provide proof :wink: (so it indicates problem somewhere else then apps I maintain)

Btw,
obrazek
(that’s Athom dev so can be stated as Athom statement)

Frankly, I don’t know why it’s so complicated but it’s probably indication that it’s not the priority at all.

2 Likes

Well, I meant it in a way like “why does Athom think adding release dates to app versions is worth programming, but not for firmware versions”.

I like the fact there’s release dates in general :wink:

1 Like

Exactly.

1 Like

Sorry, but that’s ridiculous.

1 Like

It is but don’t tell it to me :wink: I guess could be good topic for Homey Podcast thread…

@Henk_Renting , maybe you can suggest this topic there and others discussing here, feel free to like it.

2 Likes

Good idea, done so:

Feel free to like and comment over there everyone…

2 Likes