Displaying dynamically updated multiline text in Homey

Hi,

I have been looking for a way to display dynamically updated multiline text in Homey, but I haven’t been able to find any app or existing solution that can do this properly.

What I would like is actually quite simple: somewhere in Homey where I can easily access and display a block of dynamically generated multiline text.

My particular use case is a dynamically generated battery charging plan, for example:

00:00–02:00 — Charge 5.0 kW
03:00–05:00 — Charge 4.0 kW
06:00–07:00 — Charge 2.5 kW
08:00–09:00 — Charge 3.0 kW

The number of periods changes dynamically, so using a fixed number of separate capabilities isn’t really a good solution.

I’ve looked at Device Capabilities/Advanced Virtual Device, standard string capabilities, device settings and Dashboard Widgets, but I haven’t found a solution that provides both a good multiline presentation and quick access from Homey.

I don’t necessarily need this to be a device capability, device tile, widget or any particular type of Homey component. I’m mainly looking for a practical way to display several lines of dynamically updated text that is easy to access in everyday use.

Ideally it should:

  • Support multiple lines/newlines

  • Adjust to a varying number of lines

  • Be dynamically updateable from a Flow, HomeyScript or an app

  • Be quickly accessible without having to navigate through several screens

  • Use the available space efficiently rather than dedicating a large part of the view to an icon

I know custom Repair Views can provide much more freedom, but using Repair just to display information seems more like a workaround than the intended solution.

Am I overlooking an existing app or Homey feature that can do this?

If not, is this something other Homey users would find useful as well?

Could this help?

Or, if you are looking to just display some text in the app of Homey, then apps like this could do the trick:

The Enhanced Device Widget app has a HTML widget which can show anything you feed it with.
Example

Yeah, ill show you, give me a moment…
@David_Bjornhart

Like @Peter_Kawa mentioned: The Enhanced Device Widget.
And yes, it can handle HTML input, but that might not be what you need or want.

It also has a pretty easy to use Status Display Widget.

(Sec, need to continue on my phone because of the dashboard).

Okay, so add a widget to a dashboard or your homey default app page.
Give a widgetID like for example: MultiLine:

You can fill this widget with a flowcard:


(In the desktop, you can use Shift-Enter to create new lines without text-arguments.

And voila:

Just play around with it a bit, but if you use the “Improved set status card”, and for backgroundcolor use 8 digits for its hex-color #00000000, the background will be the default Homey color, bause the color is transparent (the lasts 2 digits of 8 hex-digits is its transparancy).

Other then that, just FYI:
I am in the process of creating a Widget for the Better Logic Library App.
It supports multiline for text variables.

(But its not done yet, so kinda useless for you right now :joy:)