[APP][Pro] Piggy Bank

ah, that makes sense :slight_smile: Thank you! Do you know about a way to get the data directly from tibber pulse? without going through they’re api?

I don’t have a Tibber reader so I do not know, I only have the Eva Meter Reader. Aren’t the Tibber homey app speaking directly to the meter reader? I would suspect so

Screenshot_20230427_233238_Homey|230x500

I think it was a update this winter for the problem I have, but I still have a problem.

Why are devices turn off/on so many times?
Like my Daikin AC its turn off/on 8 times at the same time. This device is adjustet for “Alltid pĂ„â€ but changer of +/- 1C arter current price.

Second problem.
How can I owerwrite or block the device control of a thermostat that Piggy bank controls?
I have heating cables in guest room det to 10C and piggy bank control. If I want 21C I need open Piggy bank and changer degree in all windows Dsy/Night/Weekend instead of change in units in Homey.

Im shure it been asked before, I did find it in search.

The most common reason for devices to be turned off/on is because you have set a hourly limit for the Power Tariff. Some hours when you are close to the limit then devices will turn on/off quite a bit. (but it also saves you for more than 100 NOK every month on the electricity bill)

However, in the test version of the app (not the stable version), then you can select to use the temperature setting to control the power tariff instead of on/off. This will turn the temperature to the minimum for a few minutes when trying to prevent going above the target before the temperature setting goes back to normal. To change to this setting please enter the list of controllable devices and select Temperature control = Preferred.

There are several ways to do this.
The one I use myself is as follows:

• I created a mode called “Guests” where I set 21°C for the guest room and set 85°C for the water heater.
  • Then I created a flow that allow me to enter guest mode by starting a flow attached to a “guest”-button in my living room. Then if I press the button again I exit guest mode.

Another option is to use the flow card “Override device” where you can force the floor heating to a specific temperature. You can use the same flow card to deactivate the override.

The difference between the two is that the guest mode will still be price-controlled while the override will not.

Later, when the new time-schedule feature mentioned above will be made public you will find the whole setup process quite a bit easier. It is still some time before I can make that public though as the app will require an extensive rewrite before that happens.

I strangely enough have heating set to 23° during winter and cooling set to 21° during summer. If my head is able to follow your proposal (an example with numbers would help), cooling will start if the AC is measuring more than 23°, and not stop cooling until it reaches 21°. For those with fireplaces that’s not that smart. This time of year is the hardest to cope with. Lots of windows and too hot during daytime, but very cold during night.
Could a side proposal be to have Piggy listen to a variable, if the number is higher than <insert number> then do this
Then users could choose to use outside temperature from YR, or some other custom trigger to control the mode?

Ok, then I need to do a minor modification as I made sure the two temperature ranges could not overlap

That is already embedded into the other mode called “ignore”.
Since Ignore will just read what the AC mode is and then apply heating or cooling price points depending on if you have set the AC to heat or cool in the first place. Ignore will never change the mode.

So
 “Smart” is just a convenience mode for those that are too lazy to press the remote control to switch :wink:

Weren’t able able to find the “ignore” mode, where do I look? Also, feedback on the temperature wheel. It’s possible to adjust it when it’s both un-zoomed and zoomed. My gut says only adjust when zoomed? On iOS it’s hard to control in both modes though. It’s like a hard puzzle where each move you make screws up your previous moves you thought or tried to make stick. Maybe add an option button to switch view to text boxes? Or even more thorough help section?

Look at this image: AC Mode is set to “Uendret”

I’m not sure, people can open the settings on a tablet, then the wheel shouldn’t be a problem un-zoomed.

A wizard is planned to walk you through it. The old text boxes are still there (just not visible), I hadn’t deleted them yet because I was unsure whether or not I should add a textbox view.

@frodeheg : can you explain why the app sets the temp so low all the time when the estimated limit is not even close to be reached? (5KW)

The graphs you show have a timespan of 1 day. This means that there is only one sample every 5 minutes, which is the average over the timespan.

The app work on a much higher granularity. It takes measurements every 10 seconds and tries to estimate the full hour usage from there.

If you look at the graph you may notice that almost all temperature losses are in the beginning of an hour. This is because your instant power usage is weighted more toward the full-hour estimate at that time.

There is however a mechanism to counteract this. If you in the settings menu click the menu “Devices” → “Meter reader” you will find a setting called “Time window smoothing”. This will allow you to use more power at the start of every hour.
It is likely that your setting for this is set too low. I think the default is 20% over use, you might want to increase it to 50% or more

ok, thanks .tried setting it to 40% now.
Also have a couple of other questions: what does this tell me?

I also have a problem with the “tariffguide” showing a way to high number. more than double of what my “netteier” says.
You said earlier that this is because of the power meter having connection problems. There should be ways to correct this. Now i have to deal with this wrong number the whole month??

It is (an estimate over) how many of your units that should be on that are on. It is only accurate when it is 0% and 100%, everything in between is an estimate. The estimate may get messed up in case units are turned on/off manually or get signal problems and may drift a bit if it gets a long time between situations where it is 100% on/off

Unfortunately, no, but I created this ticket to add support for it in the future. I have a few annoyances in the graph I would like to get rid of too. Did you resolve the connection issues btw?

nah, i think it pretty much solved itself. Might be a mix of HP23 problems and wifi issues

1 Like

I added some significant improvements for this in version 0.20.28.

• You now have a pop-up temperature displayed next to your finger - with color coding that highlights the pricepoint.
  • The currently selected target is now highlighted
  • You now can overlap the heating and cooling ranges.
  • When the ranges are overlapping you have a new button to focus on either heating or cooling.
  • I set the max temp to 35 instead of 45 so it’s easier to fine tune temperatures.
  • There is a range - “button” that will allow you to switch to greater range when necessary (for water heaters)
  • Added indications on when to change between cooling and heating.
  • Added temperature labels
  • I added a wizard that should walk you through some things, but it’s far from complete, so some improvements can be expected to the wizard.

How do you like the new one? (I still did not add the textbox view, do you still think I need to add it?)

Can you show the room that the device belongs to in the list of overridden devices? I have several devices with the same name, bur in different rooms.

When starting the wizard “something’s missing” can’t press next or exit. Have to close Piggy to get out of it. After about 15 seconds of spinning the wheel I think I understand the concept, but it’s frustratingly hard to set what you want to set. And pretty easy to mess it all up and having to set all the previous values once more. Letting go of my finger moves it point 5 afterwards and such
Too many options controlled at the same time, TMI basically. I think users less tech savvy than me will be less patient. I still think there’s room for this wheel, when a user just wants to make small adjustments and probably if the wizard explains the concept in layman terms with examples. But when going through all the hoops in this app to set up your home for the first time, I think it’s easier to have text boxes to see what we’re doing and feel a bit more in “control”.

Sure thing @proisland, I added it here, so it will be part of next version 0.20.30

1 Like

Peculiar
 I have not experienced this problem on any of my test platforms, is this an issue on iPhone only (as I don’t have it)? 
or do you also have problems when using https://my.homey.app ?

Can you send me a screenshot of how it looks like when this problem occurs?

The wizard will be an essential part of the new version so I need to get it working :wink:

The intention is to present the users with the simplest of the interfaces at first, so they don’t get overwhelmed. They will not be met with the full fledged all in one thermostat as you see when opening the testing screen. If you change temperature control to static temperature and AC-mode to Heating, then this is the temperature control I think I will default to.

But anyway, I will add some text-boxes so you get the choice of your own preferences.
EDIT: Done (but as you probably can see, the text-box view looks even more TMI than the thermostat, so I am pretty certain the text-box view will not prevent people from being scared. It’s better to default off with the lesser options like static temperature than to give them the text-box view in my opinion. Anyways, found a bug so maybe the wizard will be working for you now?)

Still not able to get out/next of this screen

Problem reading the text in the text box view.

Edit: I now see that you had “un-zoomed” in mind when switching to text box view.
But if you gray out the background way more (or make it solid), then “zoomed textbox view” will make it less TMI

Hmm
 that was not expected. Your browser is rendering the z-order of the layers in the wrong order. May I ask which phone/browser this is in particular?