[APP][Pro] Piggy Bank

Try out the insights, it would be quite interesting if it shows temperature readings from the past.

I just added a new function to my new app that came out today. You can now use a flow to request DALL¡E to generate images on Homey.

So here was my first attempt with the flow “Make an image of a saving pig that saves big on electricity”. Maybe I can use it as an assistant artist?

Hi. First of all: great app! I have one “follow-up”/suggestion: Has anything been done on this issue? I have the same issue, with a couple of heating appliances which should be set to “night” at around 18/19. At the moment I have tried the “overstyring” and “styrt” and “manuell temperatur”, but haven’t really found the best way to do this. Say I want to edit the set temperature of an oven between 18 and 07, what would be the best way to do that?

I also see today that at the moment (13:30), the app sets price point to “expensive”, although this is more or less the cheapest hour today. Am I doing something wrong, or can there be a bug in the new update?

The app has been through a lot of changes since then but unfortunately I have not implemented a good solution for this yet. The best option at current is probably to run the flow card “Override device xxx, set temperature to manual override”

@dooniem created a discussion around the topic here though: Different approach to setting temperatures ¡ frodeheg/no.sparegris ¡ Discussion #77 ¡ GitHub, but I have not had time to address these changes yet. I will start to look at it at some point though. What do you think about his proposals?

I will probably address the one below soon though, it might improve the situation for you?

It’s difficult for me to guess what is going on without more input, but I would guess that the basis for price comparison is set in such a way that most of the hours today was set to expensive for you, is this right?
Can you send

• a screenshot of the price graph for today as shown in the setup interface? This will show you how the price points are distributed across the day.
  • a screenshot of the “price control magic” under “Units → Price control”
  • and possibly a readout of the “moving average price” as read from the “piggy bank insights” device

Hi

Regarding the temperature setting options mentioned, i think he is onto something. I find it quite complicted to set temperatures and priorities for 5-6 appliances and 5 modes, so simplifying that would be nice. I also do not need the option to have different priorities in different modes, i would rather have the option to select different time of the mode for different appliances.

Regarding the screenshots, they are attached. As you can see, the price point is set to dyrt, although the price is lower than the dyrt-limit. It also seems like the price graph from piggy bank does not comply with the spot prices today, there is a peak at 10 o clock, which is not existing in the spot price profile in tibber.

Here is the price profile from piggy bank, which is set to NO3

And here is the spot price from today

This, is odd, because it’s not seen as “dyrt” in the graph… If you click the “dyrt” in the insights device, does it show that it has been updated lately?
And what does the pricepoint show as in the app settings page under “Devices” → “Price Control” ?
It may be that it’s just the insights app that is not updated for some reason… (which we might need to look closer into if this is the case)

EDIT: Sorry, I was writing on my post while you posted images so I didn’t notice the tibber image.
Hmm… I can only think of one thing that would cause such a discrepancy. All prices are originally in euros, so they have to be translated to NOK. If the app was restarted around that time it would have falled back to a very old NOK exchange rate until it was possible to fetch a new currency exchange rate from Norges Bank. I created this ticket to improve on this issue, as it should much rather fall back on the previously known exchange rate. (the source data seem to be correct so I believe the currency exchange rate was jinxed)

Could it be the case that you was hit by this issue, or do you think it was something else? (did your app restart around that time?)

New changes in test version 0.19.42

• Made currency exchange rates latent across app restarts (@sverf)
  • Fixed an issue where charging wouldn’t start properly (@Birger_T #171, @Frode_Stenstrom #162)
  • Added beta-support for com.arjankranenburg.virtual:virtual_switch
  • Fixed a minor bug where the reliability counters for all devices were reset when entering the setup.

Next on the plan:

1 Like

@frodeheg

Hi.

I feel like the price fetching/calculations are off lately.
I have it set to daily average, and +/-10 percent for cheap/high price points.

Right now the price is way lower then 10% below average, but piggy still sets it to normal.

I have seen this happen several times in the last few days.

I see you use a snapshot of prices from Tibber. Have you checked the price graph in Piggy? (select “strømpris” and then “day” and browse to the current day) This graph will show you the price Piggy thinks it is as well as price point distribution across the day. If you for some reason does not have access to the current day then the price fetching for the current day has failed and it defaults to Normal price. If this happens you should have gotten a notification as well so if you didn’t get a notification it might be an issue. How does the Piggy graph look?

It seems fine again now. (New hour).
It was the hour from 5 to 6 that failed. It’s been fine the rest of the night. But had a few hours yesterday where it also failed.

Does the app only try once to fetch the price when a new hour starts?

What sort of notification? I don’t think I have ever gotten one.

Can you click the hour = 5:00 and see what the graph shows?
If it says “Prispunkt: Billig” that is what was actually the case despite of what you might have seen in other places.

Where did you actually read that it was “Normal”? was it in the insights app? It could be an issue with the display in the “device”… or was it from the price control menu in piggy settings?

It tries once for every new hour if it still has not gotten the future +12 hour prices. Which means that the price fetching must fail 12 times in a row in order for you to get the message about missing prices.

It was normal, so it failed.

Well, I see it on the temperatures my floors are set at. Didn’t actually notice what insights was set to.

Would it be possible to have it try again when it fails instead of waiting an hour?
Losing an hour (or more) of cheap floor heating actually makes a difference.

Looks like it failed at midnight as well

I’m not sure you’re hit by this issue as the price graph clearly show that prices has been registered and you say you didn’t get any notification about missing prices ever, so I think this must be another bug…

Can you elaborate to me, are you on stable 0.19.40 or testing 0.19.42?
Is this related to the 0.19.38 release?

I’m on test 0.19.42 (updated tonight I see)

Yes, the price seems to be registered, but it sets the wrong price point. (5 o’clock was cheaper than 6, so it makes no sense that 5 should be normal, and 6 cheap)

My best guess would be that it’s related to the 0.19.38 release so if you believe it started after Jan. 15th that could be the case…

As far as can tell, it’s been the recent days, yes so you’re probably right.

Sorry for my late reply here, but it seems Torbjorn has had more or less the same issue as me. I tried not doing a lot of changes in the app, and just leaving it alone, and then it seemed to work fine. However, when I adjusted some priorities in the list (changed order of some appliances), I noticed that the app suddenly (and immediately) changed the price point to “expensive”, before going to “normal” a few minutes later. The price point at that time was in reality “cheap”. At the next full hour it seemed to go back to normal operation.

Maybe I have been looking at the wrong place then? @Torbjorn_Melbye , is this something that happens randomly or does it occur after you have changed/saved the settings again?

Are you saying that the improvement I added to keep currency exchange rates latent in version 0.19.42 did not fix your case?