[App][Pro] OpenWeather

Ronny, @Martin_von_Rotz ,

I informed at OWM HQ:

3 Likes

Is dew point available in OpenWeather? If available, can it be added to the app?

Yes, dew point is included in teh API. It’s the only field which is not available in the app. I will add it.

2 Likes

For me the web app does not :wink: is this a settings problem? In the details view I can see it then, but that is not very “productive” :wink:

Thank you very much for adding the field. :slight_smile:

Hi,
the field is added in the new test version 1.1.3:

It would be nice if you could test if all is ok. Thanks.

4 Likes

Is there a way to see / check of you have reached the 1000 API requests?

I’ve only seen the list of API keys and a block log if your are logged in at https://home.openweathermap.org
I think the block log should show something in that case.

1 Like

Hi Ronny,

Thanks for adding the Dew point field.
I can see the field has been added and shows the right value.
One question regarding the sorting order. In future updates can this field be placed by the other Temperature values?

I have re-arranged the capabilities now. I tried to get nearly the same view for each device and keep pairs together (for the 2-column-view in the sensor view).

That’s a overview for current/hourly/daily:

I have uploaded a new testversion with this layout (1.1.4)

But… you have to delete and re-add your devices to get the new layout.
If not, the device keeps the layout of capabilities. If a new capability is added by the app, it get added at the end of the list. That’s default behaviour of Homey.

2 Likes

Hi Ronny,

I have updated the app to version 1.1.4.
After the update I have deleted the current Weather and added a new one.
I lost some labels in flows due to the re-add of the current weather.
The Dew point is now at the right location.

Tanks for the quick update. :blush::clap:t2::+1:t2:

1 Like

What tool are u using for this?

The dashboard indicators looks like Home Assistant

:+1::+1:

Hi Ronny,

Do you have any idea why since a few days the amount of rain is not visible in the app anymore?
If I look to the current situation for today via an other app (Own Weather station: Rain 7mm):

The information in the OpenWeather app for rain is 0mm:

Hi Rob,

I think the app is providing all data sent by OWM.
As written above, the rain measure of the current weather device is representing the rain of the last hour, not the upcoming rain.
grafik

I checked the API and I can see the API values in the Homey devices.

If you want to know if it will rain today or if now rais is predicted, you could better use the forecast for now/today. Add a forecast device with hours=0 or days=0 to get the prediction of current hour or current day. I think that’s more what you want?

To compare the API data with your devices, you can open this link in the browser:
https://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.5/onecall?lat={lat}&lon={lon}&appid={API key}
Just set your lan/lon and API key.

My lkocation, current weather (without rain):
grafik

And an example with rain (hourly forecast this hour for my location):
grafik
In Homey:
grafik

So it’s depending on OWM data. The hourly forecast would be a better approach I think.

Hi Ronny,

I have opened the url (api link) in my browser. It looks like there is no rain information but only forcast info. But I could be mistaken. This is the result:

“hourly”:[{“dt”:1649322000,“temp”:282.45,“feels_like”:278.83,“pressure”:982,“humidity”:78,“dew_point”:278.82,“uvi”:0.26,“clouds”:52,“visibility”:10000,“wind_speed”:8.31,“wind_deg”:256,“wind_gust”:18.03,“weather”:[{“id”:502,“main”:“Rain”,“description”:“heavy intensity rain”,“icon”:“10d”}],“pop”:1,“rain”:{“1h”:4.66}},

and:

,“hourly”:[{“dt”:1649322000,“temp”:282.45,“feels_like”:278.83,“pressure”:982,“humidity”:78,“dew_point”:278.82,“uvi”:0.26,“clouds”:52,“visibility”:10000,“wind_speed”:8.31,“wind_deg”:256,“wind_gust”:18.03,“weather”:[{“id”:502,“main”:“Rain”,“description”:“heavy intensity rain”,“icon”:“10d”}],“pop”:1,“rain”:{“1h”:4.66}},

You are right, the current weather data (first part at “current” has no rain information.
But the first hourly entry (0 hours forecast, so this hour) has rain data:

,“hourly”:[{“dt”:1649322000,“temp”:282.45,“feels_like”:278.83,“pressure”:982,“humidity”:78,“dew_point”:278.82,“uvi”:0.26,“clouds”:52,“visibility”:10000,“wind_speed”:8.31,“wind_deg”:256,“wind_gust”:18.03,“weather”:[{“id”:502,“main”:“Rain”,“description”:“heavy intensity rain”,“icon”:“10d”}],“pop”:1,**“rain”:{“1h”:4.66}},**

So the 0 hour forecast would be better to use.

Btw. Could you please format the JSON code with the text option “</>”. This way it gets shortened in the thread view.

So to be clear, the 0 hour forecast is the real rain fail of the last hour?
Before I had te re-add the new device regarding the dew point field it worked fine.
Every hour I put the rain fail in a variable so I can see the total rain fall of the this day.

It doesn’t correspond with the dew point field. As you can see in your API request, OWM is currently not providing rain data for current weather.

I have only details from the API documentation:

• The current weather is showing the rain volume for last hour
  • The 0-hour forecast is showing the forecast for current hour (estimated rain for this hour)
  • The +1-hour forecast is showing the forecast for nexthour (estimated rain for next hour)
  • and so on…
  • The 0-day forecast is showing the forecast for current day (estimated rain for this this day)
  • The +1-day forecast is showing the forecast for next day (estimated rain for next day)

So you will have a rain measure (mm) in a time period (hour or day) as result.
A “real” current rain state could only be “it’ raining” or not, but no measure in mm. But OWM can’t be so realtime :slight_smile: