Simple LOG app - Former main topic [Deprecated]

Okay, next version in test:

1 Like

Should i change the default header sequence to: Time, Message, Group, Severity, Category (source)?
I now have it based on default Syslog interfaces.

Getting the mother of all error messages when I open settings on latest test version.

:slight_smile:

Update BLL to test.

BLL test upgrade and SLL app restart fixed it. Thanks!

All those improvements looking good for me.

On your question about default column ordering, I guess everyone has their preference depending on use case so the drag to reorder is great. Personally I prefer time, category, message and the others I don’t use so less bothered about. But I wouldn’t be too bothered about the default given how easy it is to change and that it can be saved.

One thing it might be worth doing if possible would be to consider having any column changes save straight away by default rather than having save option. I would have thought most users most of the time will want to set that and mostly then leave it alone and they might not discover the save button.

Well, issue is, it also saves the filters: Thus, change it to today, and tomorrow it will be wrong…
Thinking about a solution tho.

Ah, makes sense. Maybe the save option in the menu could be ‘save filters’ and any column order / hide is immediately saved?

Makes much sense Arie. +1

1 Like

Well, perhaps in the future.
Right now, i put all my focus on the memory issue.

The issue, when on the HP2023.
All values are lower on the HP2019 (because HP2023 uses docker i believe), but the results are the same: Simple Log uses to much memory which is not reduced in time, when reading the complete log.
And i just did a test: I wrote the complete log into a Homey (background) Settings, restarted the app and responded the object from settings/memory.
The Memory hardly grew any.

So, somewhere in reading those files, i create memory which is not detroyed.
And before this sweet “new” app is published, i need to know what the issue is.

After that, once i know how the Log-database will work and when i can release, then i’ll look at fine tuning some more.

1 Like

Why bother? We can choose our own order. I personally like: Time, Group, Message and hide the rest.

I do have one question, i probably missed that, can we forward logs to a syslog server as well? Do I need to install an additional app to get support for that (just like BLL)?

1 Like

No, there is a Syslog CLient device already (in the test version) which lets you send specific or all logs (configurable) to a Syslog server.

1 Like

Okay, i have updated the testversions of BLL and Simple Log.

For simpleLog i have written, in total now, 4 completly different data-models/ways of saving the logs.

Today i changed my model to use the Homey Memory/Settings.
However, i still got memory issues that would not resolve.

Today i tested the different models, and i am currently picking my first File Based model.
Why: Because in Docker, this one is the only one that workes as it should: eating memory while retrieving the log, but memory drops back a few seconds after to the starting point, keeping SL constantly at low memory, no matter how large the log is.

Updates

They both work well on the older and newer Homey’s.
Much work has been done on the exporting of files through BLL.
See BLL app settings for configuration of the File Server; currently it’s set to NOT autostart but will auto-close. If you use it a lott, you might want to change those settings in BLL.

This version of BLL seems to be the one that is gonne go Live soon, so let me know what you guys think.
Suggestions/features i’ll save for after first release.
However, bugs must be solved if there are any.
Let me know!

order of messages in timeline created by simple log:

i’m using simple log to log messages to timeline and log. My problem is, that in flows where messages are created in the same second the order in the timeline is not correct.
Is there any way to correct this behaviour?

Thank you

Do you mean: The messages in the timeline are not correctly sorted on date/time.
Or, When two messages are created “at the same time” or almost, the might appear in another other then you would expect based on the flow sequence?

kind of both.
in a flow two messages are created (1) and (2) and in the timeline they appear first (2) and then (1)

Please show me the flow anda printscreen of the timeline with messages.
Because i do have a posible solution, but need a better view of how you handle you flow.

This topic will be closing soon, going over to the new topic:

this is the timeline to be read vom bottom to top

this is flow AF20 and it is startet with
so first log should be AF20.02

now flow 19 it´s triggered

this is doing two things:

1. message AF19.13, which is in the timeline the first.
  2. press the button which is in flow 20 and creates message AF20.01

any idea?

Well, yeah, in your second image, you show to FIRST start flow AF19 (and wait till it’s done) and after that’s done, you write AF20.02 to the timeline.
Within AF19 you write AF19 to the timeline, which will be executed before AF19 is done, so before AF20.02 is written to the timeline.

But i have the feeling you expect AF20.02 to be written first?
If so:

• Disconnect the current line from the start card (from image 1) to “Start AF19”.
  • Connect the “Add af20.02 to timeline” to the triggercard from image 1.
  • Now, reconnect the trigger to “Start AF19”.

By connecting start-AF19 and timeline-AF20.02 both to the trigger “Angeschaftet”, the will run “at the same time”, so AF20.02 should be logged before AF19 (since the Start-a-flow card waits to finish the started flow i believe, if i am not mistaken. If not, use my Advanced Triggers app.

The reason for the disconnecting and connecting? The next flowcards get executed in order that you appended the lines, so, by connecting Timeline-AF20.02 first, you make sure that Homey tells the flow to start executing that flowcard first, then the AF19.

Hope this was what you wanted.

And, are you on live or test version?

Thanks a lot. Understood the logic now. The log card was only fired after the flow 19 returned.

1 Like