[APP][Pro] WeatherFlow's Smart Weather Station

I was wondering the same. It would be nice if there was a card “it stopped raining”.

Just got my Tempest Weatherstation and like to use the app to integrate with Homey. When installing the app it asks for #Enter the weather flow API key# Where do I find that information

Just google for tempest api key and there you go.

I got the tempest working trough CLI lasy weekend, very happy with it!

Hi Hakan_Billig;

1. Sign in at https://tempestwx.com/signin.html with your tempest account (you created this when you activated your mobile app and set up the weather station)

2. Click on Settings top-right; you should see your unit preferences/settings config on this page; at the bottom in the “More” Section, click “Data Authorizations”

3. Click the “Create Token” button; give the token an optional name so you can identify what you used it for, then click “Create Token”

4. Use the new API token for your app configuration (you might need the Station ID also - Settings > Stations > Your Station > Status > Station ID at the top of the screen)

Hope that helps!

I have a tempest and with the beta app it works perfect.

But is it possible to include “Solar radiation change (dutch: de zonnestraling is veranderd)” as a trigger?

That would be great.

Ok, thanks!

Hi @BufferOverflow Any chance you get help me out here? :slight_smile:

Sorry for the long delay, but I have not Tempest myself, only the previous version. But now I have published a test version for you with a Tempest device. Please test and let me know how it works.

Hello Will,

Thanks for the update, unfortunately it keeps crashing. The version from @BufferOverflow works fine.
You should have received 2 crash reports from me (that what the timeline says).

An official test version has been released now with tempest support, https://homey.app/a/com.weatherflow.smartweatherstation/test/

I will have a look.

New version out now…

Hi @Will_o_Wisp ,

Thanks for updating the app. Is this based on the adjustments @BufferOverflow made?
Could you maybe help me out with the two questions I posted?

It is, but there where some problems in that PR and to much duplicated code, so I did rewrite it quite a lot.

Are we talking about the rain start trigger or is raining condition?

What does the Tempest app say in the case, when it rains just a little?

Thanks. I’ll install your app then.

We are talking about the rain start trigger. It’s the flow card ‘it starts to rain’.

In the case it’s raining very light that’s exactly what the Tempest says “light rain” or “very light rain”. :slight_smile: So the Tempest is registering rain but not enough to change the 0.0mm.

The rain start is triggered whenever an event is received from the weather station, Rain Start Event [type = evt_precip] over UDP. But you can also try the is_raining condition instead of the trigger, since that will return true whenever rain has been reported over 0 mm and it will return false again on the next observation if rain is 0 mm. So different data from the api to trigger those, would be interesting to see if you think they behave differently. I think you should raise the question to Tempest, when the rain start event is triggered and how much time must pass in order for it to be triggered again.

If you can it would be interesting to see what messages you receive if you listen for the UDP messages according to this documentation

Since I report every rain reported to my understanding…

Hmm, that’s a bit out of my knowledge. I have no idea what it is and what I should do with it.

But my two questions are related. Because if I use your suggestion and trigger flows based on the raining condition then the second question comes into play. The 0,0mm does not change when rain is very light but it IS raining.

I am using this data to close my roof window when it’s raining so also light rain should trigger something. When the condition goes unchanged because it is purely based on the mm of rain (which does not change with very light rain) my roof window might stay open while it’s raining.

So the problem is that Tempest shows a very light rain notification without changing the mm of rain. The condition is based on that mm. If you ask me that notification should then change the mm to for example 0.01mm since that would also trigger the condition to ‘yes’.

Not sure I follow completely. But this is my understanding then…

You do get the rain started trigger when it starts raining, even if only light rain and no actual mm is measured?

But you also rely on the is_raining condition, and that also is set to true when rain started is triggered.

Is this true in the tempest app itself as well? You do get a rain notification, but 0 mm rain is reported as measured?

Have you tried this new version?

Yes, with very light rain the Tempest registers en shows “very light rain” but no mm since it registers not enough to show a number.

I have to also rely on the is raining condition because if the ‘has started to rain’ trigger has triggered there is no way to know when rain has ended. If I use this information to set rain variable to ‘yes’ it will never go to ‘no’ because we don’t know when rain has ended. The is raining condition does not tell you this either since the 0,0mm is no guarantee that it’s not raining.

So if I only use the condition I will miss very light rain completely. If I only use the trigger I won’t know when rain has ended. Hope that clears things up. :slight_smile: It does not change with the app unfortunately.

Does the app use mm changes for 0,0mm or also with an extra digit behind te comma? So, 0,01? Because in Homey Insights I can see the very light rain (0,01mm) but when using your app it does not trigger as rain. I have the feeling it only triggers at 0,1mm? Is that possible?

No that is unfortunately not the problem. But I have added a lot of data logging on my side now to see what’s reported by the weather station during observations and rain start triggering etc. Not sure the data will be exactly what the Tempest reports, but hopefully very similar with my Sky unit.