[APP][Pro] Power by the Hour: Insights per hour, day, month and year

A major new version 6.0.0 has been released as test: Power by the Hour | Homey

• BAT: Completely new ROI strategy flow.
  • BAT: Deprecated old ROI flow card.
  • SUM: Fix paring new devices.

I have been working on and off on this version for a few months now. It introduces a completely new way to calculate the best Battery ROI strategy. I had to learn how to model a Linear Programming Solver, and find a solver that I can use with Homey. And I’m really happy I was able to create something that (as far as I tested) works extremely well!

With this new ROI method the battery will be able to use a number of (dis)charging speeds, depending on the efficiency of a certain speed. So in the Battery device settings you need to set some extra (dis)charging values, with the accompanying losses in efficiency. Per default the Sessy Battery speeds/efficiencies are available.
The ROI calculation is performed using a THEN card (only available in advanced flows). The card produces the best actual charging power:

• 0 Watt: do not charge/discharge
  • Positive Watt: Discharge the battery with the given power
  • Negative Watt: Charge the battery with the given power

Also available is the optimum duration (most often 60 minutes when you start it at the beginning of an hour) and the SoC after this duration. For hackers amongst you the full future strategy scheme is available as JSON.

The calculation is pretty CPU intense. Running it will use 100% of Homey CPU for a few seconds. So don’t use it too often :wink:

This is a major change, so I will not release it until some of you have tested it and have given feedback.

And yes, when all is good and I have too much spare time, I do have plans to show the strategy as an image in the battery device.

6 Likes