[APP][Pro] Device Capabilities - Enhance the capabilities of devices

I am using to create a virtual thermostat on a Homey Pro 2023, which works fine so far. Unfortunately, when I just tried to extend the device by clicking on Repair, it shows a completely empty panel, like I just create the device. None of my configuration is displayed (but it still works in the device I created). Any ideas?

Try to open the repair, after that, send me a diagnostic?
Thanks!

Tried to reboot first and magically went away. Weird. Sorry for bothering.

Multiple questions for the audience:

1. Did someone try to implement an auto energy counter in that sense that I set an on consumption and an off/standby consumption in watt - and the numbers will be automatically calculated based on how long the device was switched on?
  2. When using a thermostat, it always shows in the dashboard overview the set temperature, not the actual temperature. Any idea how to rather show the current temperature?
  3. The default action is that when tapping on a tile in the Homey iOS app the device switches on or off. As this happens sometimes when scrolling inadvertently, I’d like to disable this functionality - so it can be only switched on/off with a button in the detail page. Any ideas?

Something like this should get you on the way?

This is a way to achieve it, only the tile does not reflect On or Off state any longer…maybe @Arie_J_Godschalk knows a better way?

2 Likes

You can let button 2 reflect button 1.

1 Like

@Peter_Kawa - thank you so much for your knowledgeable and detailed answered. The thermostat vs sensor answer was really helpful, same goes for the on/off status indicator. Works perfect now.

For the energy consumption I would have imagined an easier way. @Arie_J_Godschalk, what about a dedicated “energy” field with values for on and off (standby) where the values get calculated automatically based on the status of the device and added to the Energy page of homey?

2 Likes

You’re very welcome Homey_User_T.

1 Like

I am unsure what you mean exactly.
You can add an energy (power) field (numberfield) and it will show in the energy tab.
But what do you mean with automatic calculation of on/off?

Homey devices - like a Hue lightbulb - usually have two energy input fields: when on and when off:

Homey uses this value to compute the current energy consumption, taking in regard the status of the device. It’d be nice if those fields would work right out of the box. Makes sense?

Okay, i think i can add these to the ShowAs Power option. Can you create a feature request for it? Thanks!

Done.

I just wanted to elaborate on my previous post concerning the memory footprint of this app on H23 (in my use case).

I have come up with two distinct patterns/peculiarities regarding H23 system load. I think these are related to the hardware-software implementation by Athom so I will post about it on Slack as well.

Memory usage
The first thing I noticed is that all apps (so not this one in particular, however this app has the highest memory usage in my case) start with a relative high memory footprint when starting up the system. This memory load decreases at certain moments in time. I did not (yet) find any direct reason for this behaviour, so for me it seems quite arbitrary/random. But it is quite frustrating because more often than not this initial memory footprint stresses my H23 such that I often have to restart the hardware prior to the point the memory usage would possibly decrease.

At first this app used about 120MB, just maxing out the memory usage of a single app. But than, without apparent reason this usage fell down to 95MB. 05/07@9:37

Than, it further declined to about 75MB on 10/07@10:40.

As you can see, other apps reveal a similar picture.

CPU usage
The second thing I noticed is the rather rhythmic cpu usage of H23. It is very spiky in my case and has an almost perfect wavelength of 105 minutes. As far as I am aware of I don’t have any flows that would dictate such a rhythmic cpu utilisation.

The remarkable cpu-usage of my H23. I am not able to relate this to a particular app or flow.

Anybody else noticed similar behaviour?

Than, about the high system load of this app in particular I am still searching for its cause. But when the system almost constantly crashes when I try some changes this is a tedious process. :slightly_frowning_face:

I notice Device Capabilities is crashing/restarting (almost) everytime I edit my AVD’s with Homey web app (my.homey.app)
When I do it on my phone it happens but not as much as it does on the web version.

Any idea why this could be? It’s a bit annoying. :wink:

f4452c2f-e0df-44ff-9733-e2f45d8f4c2a

Thanks.

It uses to much memory.
I will work on this as soon as i have some time.

4 Likes

@Arie_J_Godschalk

Couldn’t live without this app! Amazing work.

I know that this has been requested before, but couldn’t figure out the current status.

Would it be possible to arrange the fields in a different order than they have been added? I have important fields at the bottom that I would like to move up. I have also deleted “Text Field 1”, and I thought that they would be rearranged automatically, but it stays where it is, empty. Thanks for your input on this.

Hi Peter,

FYI, the created issues @ BitBucket show most requests and their status:

2 Likes

Yes, but it takes time to develop this correct, and i am a bit busy atm.
The issue in building this, it is extremly heavy on Homey to remove and add fields. And to rearrange them, the need to all be removed and added.
My current version just keeps crashing with OutOfMemory, also because my own Homey is pretty much OutOfMemory.

2 Likes

I got an idea, per DM

1 Like

Hi @Peter_Kawa,
I really liked your script for checking sensors, but get a strange error.
Is there a way to solve this problem?