Smpl mini display: battery powered e-ink display made for Homey

Indeed, a kind of log would be great, showing latest events (with possibility to select event types, or devices, or rooms…)

1 Like

Great news, hoping for a framework and additional screens will be support.

Perhaps this could be a good but expensive device, too

Heard they are working on Home Assistant support

Hello,

I already use some M5stack products in my Home automation setup: GitHub - rhannink/M5Stack-HA-Alarm-panel: M5stack alarm panel with RFID face to control Home Assistant MQTT alarm panel

They now also sell an e-inkt display with esp32 for a reasonable price: M5STACK M5Paper V1.1 met 4.7 inch E-paper E-ink Display en Touchscreen - ESP32 - M5STACK-K049-B

Maybe something to start with.

Gr. Remco

In case it was not suggested before: I suggest to also include use cases regarding blinds/sunscreens/shutters etc.
Secondary, locks, gates and doors would be nice. This might be part of the alarm-use case group, but might also have value as separate use case set.

My final suggestion: keep it simple! I see a lot of suggestions for applications and use cases that I myself also like very much. But I am primarily thinking about the primary use case I have currently with my HomeyCornelisse dashboard, running on a tablet in my living room. And that use case is my non-tech wife, just wanting a simple set of buttons and status-indicators to operate basic smart home functions. So whenever you start user testing this great idea, be sure you include someones grandmother, wife and little niece and nephew in your beta test population.

3 Likes

@Bas Big thx for input on use-cases. And also on your encouragement to keep it simple. This is the essense of the device and the brand that we are creating. In fact, it’s in the name :wink:

3 Likes

Im quite curious on the display your are explaining i sound great possibly 1 on each floor of my house, but 2,7 inch sounds a bit small i’d have to say

2 Likes

Hi @Sebas
Great to hear that you are interested in the new device.
It’s important to emphasize that it is not a dashboard/a controller, but a customizable display. You will be able to select preset templates showing 1, 2 or 4 values on one display either portrait or landscape. Even with 4 values, it will be quite visible on a 2.7 inch e-ink display. And still elegant not intrusive on your wall/table/shelf etc.
Can’t wait to show it.

1 Like

This project sounds very interesting for me and I will follow this thread for new updates.
And I would be available if you need someone for testing :wink:

2 Likes

Aah ofcourse that’s also a very good way to think about it.

Can’t wait to see it :smiley:

2 Likes

UPDATE: FIRST FIELD-TEST COMING UP. AND A FEW IDEAS FOR YOUR FEEDBACK

We are progressing according to plans, although our first field-test in January has been delayed until late February. Nothing serious other than high demand on our development team in Ukraine and ubiquitous COVID impact.

We still need a few iterations on enclosure design. So, it will take a few more weeks before we can show how the device will look. It has though been decided to only have landscape orientation when the display is standing alone on a table etc. to make it more stable. We are planning to make the screen a little tilted backwards (like a standing photo frame). You will still be able to have both portrait and landscape orientation using the wall-mount and the screen will not be tilted when placed in the wall-mount.

The field-test will be a limited end-user test with 10 prototypes focusing on basic functionality in both hardware as well as the Homey app. There is a second field-test planned in April with a more mature prototype before production, if required.

We have managed to secure all critical components (e.g., zigbee transceiver, e-paper display etc.) for the first production series and still plan to deliver products in late April/beginning of May. This will though be a ‘limited edition’ of 1.000 units due to the global chip shortage. We are constantly following the stock situation. The plan is to make a sign-up list and potentially a Kickstarter campaign to enable pre-ordering sometime in March.

The team has had some important breakthrus after the New Year. We are breaking new ground as there is no such thing as a ‘standard display’ device in the zigbee world (or zwave or BLE for that matter). In principle these protocols are not made for broadcasting data (very low bandwith), so we are making several workarounds. Wifi would be easy, but batteries wouldn’t last long. Homey is now communicating with our device. And our device now understands what our Homey app is telling it to do/show. It’s very exciting.

@Koktail has done a great job on the Homey app. You can create your own display layouts and assign 1 to 4 values from your many devices connected to your Homey. Each value (called sensor templates) can be customized with a unique description, unit ID, icon and update frequency. Values can have a trend indicator showing if the value is increasing or decreasing. The different layouts can be pushed to your display using flows. It will be possible to show different layouts on the same display on different days, in different time-segments or situations. And we plan to implement flow cards that will enable you to pause updating the display to save battery power. It doesn’t make sense to update when you are asleep, not home or if the room is dark or the zone is inactive.

We are implementing your great ideas and have a few more ideas to run by you and would very much appreciate your feedback:

• Would it be relevant to have a ‘clock’ and a ‘date’ value as an option for the display?
  • Could you see a potential use of ‘Homey Logic’ values to display on the device?
2 Likes

Clock - it depends, what’s the energy limits, and how the clock looks like. Flashing dot/sec counting - i think, it’s anyway seems quite ugly on e-ink + the energy (as i understood, Your main goal is the long-lasting bat.) + “cost” of screens “real estate”. From my personal perspective (hope, i’m not alone) - there are looooot of devices with clock in room.

Values - absolutely. Actually, do You see on market potential for “next connected thermometer” ? :wink: My personal opinion, but if to break into market, then it’s just the flexibility.

1 Like

Clock as an option would be great!
Yes the logic values would make sense to have on there.

Great work guys! looking forward to this, and would like to test also.

1 Like

–to a non-developer the clock seems like a basic item and would be necessary but it makes sense if it doesn’t show seconds to save battery life.
–Logic would be great to easily show who is at home OR to show the state of my clothes washing machine etc…

1 Like

I let Homey speak over my Sonos systems, works fine.

1 Like

I have node-red dashboard implementations on my regular tablet. I have considered wall-mounting 2 tablets for domotica control using node-red controlling homey.

The big downside of tablet devices is “cables”. Battery operation is not possible as the device will be dead withing a few days, but the alternative is that an elegant solution should be found for the cables.

If your device is truly battery operated, then 6+ mo endurance should be key. If I have to replace/charge batteries every 2-3 months, that’s a no-go for me.

Just giving my considerations what is acceptable/unacceptable.

2 Likes

Hi @RogerSt. Thx for feedback.
The smpl mini display is not a dashboard and not a controller. The use-case is to show a few but very relevant data when and where you need it on a wall or placed on a table or shelf. It is truly battery operated. We have calculated expeced battery lifetime in the ‘lab’, but field-tests will show for real. And it will also depend on use. A minute-by-minute update 24/7 will drain the battery faster than a mixed update combined with battery optimized flows (sleep, away, dark room, in-active zone etc.).
I believe 2-3 months will be great for some, but 6+ months would be preferred. I am quite optimistic, but let’s see live results from the field-test.

1 Like

Hi @Inunekko. Thx for feedback.
Audio is also great, but not for everything. It would be quite noisy, if Homey/Sonos should alert you on all the relevant data and when it changes. The smpl mini display willl show a few but highly relevant data when and whereever you need it. Blending in without standing out. That’s the idea.

Hi @Sebas. Thx for feedback.
We have minimized components to keep cost down and battery lifetime up. So a clock and date feature is not ‘on-board’ the device, but will be ‘pushed’ from Homey. Seconds is not an option, but minute-by-minute update is fine. Presence and state of washing machine can be implemented as ‘virtual devices’ to avoid the use of logic. But agree, Logic would create even more interesting use-cases and possibilities.

Yes and yes!
Very interesting, please keep us updated with the ongoing field tests. :slight_smile: :grinning:

1 Like
  • not necessarily
  • that would be welcome

Looking forward to see the first test item.
I’m also willing to help you with testing the device.

1 Like