[HowTo] Location and Presence (Owntracks)

The password is the password for the user (Jeremy) that you created in the broker app

Peter S9 is the same login as used in MQTT broker.
So use the same user+password with both Owntracks and MQTT broker
S9 is just my description of my phone, and PD are my initials
On Jessica’s phone, u use again the same mentioned user+password (this authenticates Owntracks with MQTT broker) and instead of S9 u can use ‘Phone-Jess’ or just something you can recognize her phone with.

Fence names are also defined in Owntracks, but called ‘Regions’:

So if i understand correctly, in MQTT, users are created in MQTT Broker but in HTTP users are created in Location app, correct ?
So i create users in MQTT for every users in my house ?
But i also need a user for the Location app ? Because it need to log in too ?

Thanks, i’m such a noob…

Edit : well it’s working… need to test it more but it seem to detect faster than HTTP.

Edit 2 : the sync of geofences is not working on my iPhone. And i can’t see my wife on the friends map as HTTP allows me to.

hi here is security settings iPhone i not find the OwnTracks connected but not show my device position… I installed mqtt broker homey. I did it…

Hi I installed the homey mqtt broker and location & persence and iPhone owntracks. I only 1 account add to mqtt broker that is I used location app configuration
And the owntracks settings dns and separate userid like wife name and childrens name but same password make broker settings. There is connection is connected. And see all devices location & presence app configuration page.

This is good?
The friends page owntracks not see other family member I don’t know why.
Here 3 pictures

and if I try install iOS device cerificate and after say this message:

Hi have any ide I want to flow set if I leave my home over the 20km the flow run and not starting afternoon heating. I don’t find any solution this triger. It is possible?

Yes, you can make a geofence over the road once you past that you can start a flow with Owntracks.

Create a region over the road with some overlap.

Then create a flow , If Felho enters Road20km_Region , and time is after 13:00 then start up heater or whatever you want to do

If I create one region near my home and I neked set circle radius 20km? Or how looks like this?

You can create a geofence around your house with a radius of 20km.
When you leave the fence → heating off
When you enter the fence → heating on

But first check if the fence works correctly :slight_smile:

And one more think, why not see my family member? I set mqtt broker everyone use same broker but not see others, owntrecks discreption say:
Friends

OwnTracks has a so-called Friends and Family capability which is enabled by default. The way this works is friends and/or family members who share a single MQTT broker can “see” eachother on the map, respectively on a list of friends held by the app. (This can be done either by configuring all apps to use the same broker or by what is called bridging .)

Let’s assume for a moment, that a user Jane (user name jjolie ) has an iPhone 4s (device name 4s ), and that she publishes location data to a topic at

Did you set the read/write permission correctly?
Friends should work with a MQTT broker.

ACL’s should be something like:
owntracks/# → read/write

I use homey MQTT Broker. Where are set this?

And normal fance work all devices correctly

You don’t need to set 20km radius
you just set a 100 meter radius to cover that part of the road about 20km from home.

The fence will automatically be transferred to MQTT broker when your owntracks will be connected with it.

Ok but I want to my home leave 20 km circle. If I put one part of the road that is not good or yes?

The way Friends work is that all people on the broker receive the location messages. In short all owntracks clients on the phone subscribe to a wildcard topic listening to any location messages. When a location message arrives from a Friend, that friend’s location is changed on the map.

If, for any reason, those messages do not arrive or the owntracks phone app cannot subscribe to that wildcard topic, Friends cannot be seen. This is all handled by the MQTT Broker.

Have not been working on the MQTT Broker, so I really cannot remember how it was done right now. Too busy finishing my masters’ thesis and finishing my research.

@ChrisBoer Just curious, why would you recommend small fences across roads and not a large fence with a 20 km radius?

I use homey mqtt broker MQTT Broker App for Homey | Homey I set one user is it owntrecks and password
This set homey location and presence IP address and same username and password.is it work and after set all ios devices my family. Wife track I’d EA user ID Anikó and password same as owntrecks password. This method copy my children and me all leaves and come home work always, but we not see each other! If I separate user and password set mqtt broker problem same.

And I think my home need 2 fance one name home 100m and one 20km name ect road20 is it work or not

That can also be done, indeed I thought you wanted to use the road as a fence. But anyway I also put a fence of 500 meters around my house and one of 2km for my gate.

@scanno @Felho I did not read the usecase well

This is correct, you create a fence in your Owntrack app once a phone enters a fence which is not yet on the MQTT broker it will automatically be added. From that time on you can also see it and select it in a flow. And you will also see it in the app on you homey.

I work with owntracks for more then 4 years now and it works perfect for all my usecases.
I upgraded my MQTT Broker as a linux install to a docker image install which does not require much config and can be installed on any NAS with a docker service on it.

Aantal van de gemaakte fences en bluetooth beacons

Aantal van de fences / en bluetooth beacons (die hij ook als fence ziet)

Could you send private message mqtt broker compose how to install and set Synology nas, because I think homey mqtt broker the problem and not see family mamber.

I want to justify that if I travel to the countryside, the afternoon heating should not start. if we are in the city then turn it on.

1 Like