[Homey Pro (Early 2023)] App unsupported list

Homey Pro (early 2023) App unsupported list

The last pre-order orders are being send as we speak (between now and 2 weeks everyone’s Homey Pro (early 2023) should have been send).
The new Homey Pro (early 2023) is based on a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4, and works in a several ways different from the older Homey Pro’s (early 2016 - early 2019).
And also the SDKv3 running on it is pretty different from the older Homey Pro’s.
This will cause that even some apps that are using SDKv3 are not (fully) working properly yet.

But the biggest difference is the missing of several key features that are still running on the older Homey Pro’s:

• No SDKv2 Apps support
  • No Speaker
  • No app adjustable LED Ring (just default flows)
  • No NFC
    • No NFC antenna (since Homey Pro (early 2019))
    • Unavailable: ManagerNFC
  • No 868MHz (other then Z-Wave)
    • No 868 MHz Antenna

This post contains a full list of apps that were unsupported when the Homey Pro (early 2023) was announced on 12th of October 2022, so any apps not in the list were already supported (mostly).
And i’ll will try to keep this post up to date, though it is done fully manually, so it can lag behind a little.
It is a Wiki-post, so if you see an app that is still in the wrong list (support was added for example), then you can edit this post yourself by clicking the Edit button at the bottom of this first post.
Try to keep the post clean, and don’t duplicate any apps in several list(s), try to only move the entry.

Do keep the replies also on topic and nice, any off-topic replies will most likely get deleted.

Summary:

There are currently 175 apps in the unsupported list:

• Need an update: 108
  • Support in progress/test: 15
  • Support planned: 5
  • App replaced: 21
  • Alternative app: 8
  • Will never be supported/won’t work: 9
  • Verified discontinued support: 1
  • Discrepancy in the Homey API: 1
  • Finalized/added support: 112

Last check date: 24 February 2024

Apps that need an update in some way or form:

Click to show apps that needs an update

Support for Homey Pro (Early 2023) is in progress/test:

Click to show in progress apps

Support for Homey Pro (Early 2023) has been planned:

Click to show planned apps

Replaced by a working app with (almost) the same (or better) functionality:

Click to show replaced apps

Alternative app with (some of) the same functions:

Click to show alternative apps

Will never be supported/won’t work on Homey Pro (Early 2023):

Click to show never supported apps
  • Better voice Appstore (ManagerSpeechInput)
  • Eliza Appstore (ManagerSpeechInput)
  • Led It Be Appstore (ManagerLedring) (SDKv3)
  • LEDitor Appstore (ManagerLedring)
  • LED-Ring collection Appstore (ManagerLedring) (SDKv3)
  • Music Url Converter Appstore (ManagerAudio)
  • NFC tools Appstore (ManagerNFC)
  • Screensavers Appstore (ManagerLedring)
  • Simon says Appstore (ManagerSpeechOutput)

App that has verified discontinued support:

Click to show apps that have verified discontinued support
  • Airthings Appstore (Renamed to: Airthings BLE (deprecated))

SDKv3 but due to a discrepancy or issues in the Homey API it doesn’t work (fully):

Click to show API discrepancy apps

Support for Homey Pro (Early 2023) was added and/or finalized:

Click to show finished apps
14 Likes

Delete this if not interesting but the Fakro app mentioned is a really old one that Athom has forgotten exists I guess. The new one is supported.

1 Like

Apps using SDKv2 will be flagged “not available” in the app-store from January 2023 on, so I don’t think that’s necessary (yet), also it wasn’t at the bottom of all the apps, meaning it is still used by some people.
I guess we can add an additional tag behind the app.

2 Likes

Blink is replaced by Blink for Home > Appstore

Community store apps based on SDk3 will be supported I guess?

Most likely, as long as they are SDKv3 apps, doesn’t look like app loading will be any different from old Homey Pro’s

1 Like

Better Logic and Chronograph are two I use A LOT - it’s a shame the functionality of these can’t be brought natively into Homey, as looking at when they were last updated, it seems like they may not get updated.

5 Likes

When you read the Chronograph topic, you’ll discover the app is transferable. So when you know any developer who wants to take over, spread the news!

2 Likes

Chronograph is really an app I use allot!! lets hope someone will take it over!

1 Like

No one is forced to switch to the new Pro right now. At the moment, it is only there to activate the developers and to satisfy one’s own play instinct.
The old model will work better for months to come. If the old one starts to show signs that the SDK2 apps are no longer working, just turn off the automatic updates.
The new model will be great, but it’s only beta and still in development and won’t be able to completely replace the old Pro at this early stage.

6 Likes

So you think that the SDK2 apps will “just” become unavailable, therefore they will keep working until it will be required to reinstall them or untill old Home Pro gets firmware update, correct?

Athom can’t uninstall apps from the outside.

So apps will keep working until a firmware update of (old) Homey Pro is released that disables SDKv2 (they will crash/auto disabled).
Though installing apps won’t be possible from January 1st, that includes restoring backups.

Thank you for confirming my thoughts, just disabled firmware auto-updates. I still believe the timeline is ridiculously short for such move - regardless how complex it is to switch to SDK3, probably this depends per app/solution. ;-(

SDKv3 was released to stable on February 10 2021, along with Homey v5.0.0, so 20 months ago, not sure how much time would be necessary if that is called short :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

5 Likes

Yep, you are right, but probably the motivation to switch (benefits of SDK3) weren’t probably so strong, that those almost 300 apps would have been migrated already. But I’m not a developer but can however understand that some of community devs might give up. A pity there isn’t some good motivation for those to make the migration happen - we as community can always donate but this might be not enough - I saw some people gave up just because of “political” reasons. Anyway, end of OT :slight_smile:

Will the new Homey Pro support 868Mhz for Somfy RTS? I missed this in presentation. If not then the new Homey is no option for me.

Hey @Caseda ,

I have added two of my apps: Device Capabilities (for the moment) and apparently Muziek Url Omzetter App voor Homey | Homey (which playes (large) mp3s directly from url on homey itself)?

And, when you look into the appstore for Soundboard it shows a nice
(App not compatible with 2023)
Much beter than some other messages.

Is there a way a developer can do this in the app.json?
Or is it based on permissions in the app.json? Because

I have the Music Url Converter app, which plays large mp3’s from URL directly on Homey.
This app is not gonna work in the 2023 version and there is no point in rewriting it or something.
Because the Homey doesn’t have a speaker.
So, best to leave the app as deprecated so older models can still use it.

So the best thing would be for me to put an “deprecatedfor2023” tag in the app.json or something like that. Do you know of any way to get this message on the appstore?
or does @Emile, @Jero or someone else from Athom knows?

The App uses ManagerAudio.playWav and ManagerAudio.playMp3 but it currently shows no warning on the App Store for the 2023 edition.

1 Like

Homey Pro (Early 2023) does not have a 868MHz antenna, so no support, but isn’t RTS 433MHz?

2 Likes

Well, I am a little shocked about the lack of the userdata folder. Is there any alternative to it?
Also @Caseda my Micro WebServer might no longer be supported as it relies on this folder.
If there is no usable alternative I might as well set the app into deprecation.
I might be able to update the rest of my apps to make them compatible. Gotta see.

I just updated the post that Athom is rethinking that decision :stuck_out_tongue: (includes the source on Slack, give it a thumbs up so Athom knows it really is needed)

6 Likes