[APP][Pro] Beacon - Detect your presence with BLE beacons

Hi,

I have the situation that (since the upgrade) the beacons (tile pro) go offline and go online within a few seconds. I wanted to increase the discovery timeout from 20 → 30. But if i do that via the mobile app. The save button doesn’t allow me to save it. I change the value to 30, click save, go back and click “configure app” again. And the value is back to 20.

Am I doing something wrong?

Same issue via Homey Developer Tools. There the button isn’t even clickable.

i’m on 1.3.1

Hey Q,

It’s all here in this topic.
To get you going:

Beacon flows and settings

Settings and explanations / limitations from Athom

Thanks; but what I yet don’t understand is that the issue in firmware was resolved in 7.0.0.

So why wouldn’t I be able to modify the value? And why is the value not set to read only if it can be modified?

And how do you guys resolve your false positives. On 4.x it was working perfectly.

You are asking the questions to the wrong side.

I can imagine that the discovery time-out of 10 seconds normally should be enough and that it is a performance optimization to block that setting.

The caching layer is a performance optimization to and it’s logical when you consider the normal use cases. The beacon app is using this mechanism to determine devices to be in range.

I did some test with the new Homey firmware v7.1.5.
Athom has internally extended the BLE discovery interval from 5 seconds to 10 seconds. This is good news as a longer interval increases the likelihood of a beacon being discovered and, therefore, the BLE presence reliability. No changes to Beacon app are required.

5 Likes

Still get wrong readings, they are less than before though. . Any idea on good settings to get better results?

1 Like

Well. It would be nice if we can set the interval on the app to 10 seconds as well… It doesn’t save now

How do you ask for a yes or no? I don’t have that option I think on my android app

In the Homey app, in the Flow editor:
at the And section, add a cart, go to “Push Notifications” and select “Send a push acknowledgement”
Then pick a user who has to answer the question, and enter your question in the field below.

That’s a bug. I’ll have a look at it. Maybe you can set it in the web version for now (developer page).

I couldn’t eliminate a daily handful false positives too, therefore I added an additional ‘wait’ timer.
My app config settings are 15 / 1 / 5.
App version = 1.3.2
Homey v7.1.5

So the ‘wait’ timer should exceed 5 x 15=75s;
I’ve set it to 80s ( > increase for less false positives).

Flow 1:
When…
-Beacon Out of range
And…
-Beacon “detected” is NO
Then…
-Start or replace timer of 80s
Else… (if the beacon is detected in range within 80s)
-Hold / pause timer

Flow 2:
When…
-Wait timer has finished
And…
-Logics “Beacon-Guest is equal to YES/TRUE” (optional: just a variable I set)
Then…
-Logics “Set Beacon-Guest is equal to NO/FALSE” (optional)
-Switch Virtual light device “Beacon Guest” OFF (just a status indicator for dash)

Flow 3:
When…
-Beacon is within range
And…
-Logics “Beacon-Guest is equal to NO/FALSE” (optional: just a variable I set)
-Wait timer does not run
Then…
-Logics “Set Beacon-Guest to YES/TRUE” (optional)
-Switch Virtual light device “Beacon Guest” ON (just a status indicator for dash)

2 Likes

My settings are 15/1/20. I use Tile 2008 beacons. Hardly any false positives. App version 1.3.2
regards,
Paul

1 Like

Hi! I didn’t find definite info about the Chipolo One in this thread. I got one anyway, and got it to work like this, FWIW:

• First tried adding it directly to Beacon, but Homey couldn’t find it.
  • Then installed the Android Chipolo app and added it there, working fine.
  • Then killed the app. Don’t know if this is a required step, but I don’t need the app.
  • Then tried adding the Chipolo to Homey again. Now it could finally find it as an “iBeacon” device. Seems to work fine now.

I just released v1.3.3 to test:

v1.3.3 - 24.10.2021

• Fixed bug: Settings cannot be saved
3 Likes

For a week now I’m trying to add a new beacon. The old one was worn-out. So when I press on the plus button and select the beacon app there are tiles with a loading motion. See screenshot

Can someone help me?

Fixed for me! but still false positives

what kind of wires did you add there on the top? :open_mouth:

Two DS18S20 temperature sensors :smiley:

1 Like

so many possibilities, what did you do to me? Now I have projects again…

Will this app come available for the Homey Bridge?

Best Regards,
Arjan